Saturday, May 10, 2008

Provident Living

Today was my last day of Provident Living class and I am actually sad about it. It was put on by the wooden spoon for our area. It was a huge class of 100 + and we learned how to use our food storage in every day cooking, so that it becomes a way of life. Hence, the title provident living, rather than just how to use your food storage. I've sampled some great recipes and have become really excited that I now have some great resources to feed my family. There is a recipe book, that also comes with some great nutritional and storage information, as well as a meal plan that you can make specifically for your family. They are $10.00 and if anyone is interested in one, please contact me. I would really love to give them away to everyone I know, but that is not financially possible. The book is broken down into parts. There is Wheat, Oats, Honey & Sugar, Rice & Pasta, Legumes, Powdered Milk, and Fats & Seasonings.

I now have a charge to teach everyone in our ward about this. I have done one class on oats, sugar and honey. It went well, but I'm hoping the attendance gets better. There is a recipe for a salad dressing that is to die for, and I'm going to share it with you:

Honey Dressing

2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. salt
5 T. vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/3 c. honey
1 tsp. grated onion, or the juice
1 T. lemon juice
dash paprika
1 c. salad oil

Mix all ingredients except the salad oil thouroughly. Add salad oil very slowly, beating all the time. Beat until thick. Put in a pint jar and keep in the refrigerator. Good on raw fruits.

I made mine in the blender and it turned out great!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the blog link! I really like your background. The Provident living class sounds really interesting. I get really overwhelmed when it comes to food storage because I just really don't know what to do so it sounds like something I could really use!

Jensens said...

Thanks! I'm still overwhelmed with the thought of accumulating that much food, but at least now I will know what to do with it! The gal that was teaching the class said that as missionaries, they are no longer doing classes, but they are going to do them privately. The website is www.thegoldenspooncookingschool.com
I would love to take the classes again! It's in American Fork, though.