Friday, August 29, 2008

Grace's First Day of School



Grace finally got to start school yesterday. She was so excited! She did fantastic. She got all ready, and she wanted to ride the bus. So I took her to the bus stop at about 8:15. There are lots of kids in our neighborhood that ride the bus, but she decided to stick with Tyra . The bus pulled up and she got on. She picked a window seat close to the front of the bus, so I got to wave to her as they drove away. She looked a little nervous, but still excited.

Side note: I went home to pick up Ryker and he was ready to go. He was really worried about Grace and that she would be scared when she got off the bus. He was also worried that something would happen to the bus, "Mom, what if the bus gets in an accident? What if someone runs into it?" etc. etc. He's such a worry wart! But it got him out of the house easier :)
We got to the school. I told Grace to meet us on the playground. I looked and looked, couldn't see her. I started getting a little worried when I could see kids from her bus, but not her. I finally found her, sitting on the playground equipment (it was out of my sight from the way I came). She was doing just fine. She said, "Mommy, I couldn't see you, so I sat here." It was cute. The bell rang, she lined up and went to class. There are 22 kids in her class right now, and the aide wasn't there yesterday. Poor Mrs. W.

I picked her up and she was so happy. She ran to me, gave me a hug, and said she had a great day! Mrs. W. looked at her and said, "I don't know how you can have so much energy after today, I'm pooped." I can relate. Substituting for a class drains me. I thought she'd fall asleep fairly early, but it was the usual bedtime around 9 or 9:30. I try to make it earlier, but it rarely happens. There's always too much to do. She didn't get up until 7:30 this morning, though (which is sleeping in for her).

I'm glad she likes school, and riding the bus. She took it again this morning (if only I could get Ryker to ride it). Another side note: Ryker did not complain for the first time (out of the whole week) about going to school. It was great!

My little Gracie girl is growning up. She's very independent and outgoing and makes friends easily. I think she's going to have a great year.

2 comments:

{Brittany} said...

I'm glad you've survived all of this Back to School stuff. Hopefully, you'll survive the rest of the year with PTA! I don't know how you do it all.

Payton is such a worrier just like Ryker. I'm glad my child isn't the only one. However, he just started taking the bus again (he was too nervous to take it last year). He loves the bus now! I'm glad that he's coming around a little.

Jensens said...

I'm glad Payton likes the bus. I'm having little hope for Ryker. I'm seriously considering taking Ryker in for an evaluation for anxiety. I worry about him worrying and being so nervous all of the time. We've had one day so far that he hasn't complained about going to school. I'm going to sign him up for a sport whether he likes it or not.