Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ryker's First Day of School



Much to Ryker's dismay, the first day of school came. He chose his outfit the night before, we laid out his lunch box to pack the next morning. He received his Father's Blessing, with the assurance that it would help him not be so nervous.


He did pretty well. He didn't want to leave too early, because for some reason, he does not like lining up outside. Doug and I walked him to his class (along with many other parents). He found his cubby and went to the carpet. His teacher (Mrs. Jeffries) then began to explain how they would start each day. After that, he had to find his desk and begin writing in his journal. That's when we bowed out. He was a little nervous still, but at the end of the day when we picked him up, he was great. He came home and did his homework right away.


This morning, first thing out of his mouth, "I don't want to go to school." I'm thinking, great, is this how it's going to be every morning? He got ready, and kept protesting all morning long. He again didn't want to line up outside. I told him that when he got home, we would make a chart. If he doesn't complain about going to school and lines up outside and goes to class without an escort he would get a mark on the chart. After two weeks of marks (or 10 marks) he would get something special. He seemed to be OK with that, but then protested that it should be after only one week. He's such a negotiator. One of the many things that I admire about him.

2 comments:

Nelson News said...

Poor Ryker! I can't believe how big has has gotten. What a handsome guy!

Andi said...

looks like fun sending your kids off to school. I am not to worried about Ashton, but Brice might be a challenge. We have already had an issue with nursery!! Ashton never had a problem going to nursery. Good luck Ryker with getting marks on your chart!