Saturday, May 9, 2009

Vegas Trip (via Long Beach)

So...we had a credit with JetBlue. We had to book travel by April, or it would expire. At the time we booked, JetBlue had a direct flight to Las Vegas.....now they don't. We received a phone call a little while back informing us that as of May 1st, JetBlue would no longer have a direct flight to Vegas, but we could still get there via Long Beach....with a 4 hour layover. We really didn't want to lose our credit and have to try and book last minute flights with another carrier. So, we thought we'd accept the adventure and got a whole $25.00 per ticket voucher for our trouble. Good thing I really like flying JetBlue :)


We had to pry our sleeping eyes open EARLY Friday morning. Did I mention that Doug didn't get home from work until 7:30 Thursday night and I was at a RS function until pretty late and I had to pack and get a house ready for my friend (who I am indebted to forever) to come and watch my children? Anyway, we didn't get to bed until really late Thursday...now that I think of it, it was actually early Friday. We were excited, so we were doing OK.

We got to Long Beach and it was beautiful. We took a cab down to the Aquarium of the Pacific to pass the time. It was a good aquarium, but after the aquarium in Baltimore, nothing compares. We had fun looking at all the different fish. Then we went to lunch at the Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant. Who knew there were so many ways to serve shrimp? Ha.ha.


Feeding time!

We finally arrived in Vegas after a VERY bumpy ride. Doug and I were both green and were very thankful to hit land. We got our rental car ,which they bumped up for us from a mid-size to a Mustang. We were so cool :) We got to the hotel, and I collapsed on the bed knowing we had a late show to see. I've always wanted to see Cirque de Solei, and Doug spoiled me by taking me to "O" at the Bellagio. It was awesome! We met up with some friends for dinner and then went to "O."

Saturday was supercross day. We had to stop at the outlet mall, because I forgot my sunglasses, and our friends wanted to get some stuff, too. After 5 pairs of shoes, a pair of capris and some sunglasses later, we headed to Sam Boyd Stadium. It was a BEAUTIFUL day! I was so happy. We watched the practices, drank some Monster (they were giving it out), walked around the pits, got some great BBQ for dinner and it was race time! There are people from all over the country at this race, it is amazing. There are so many Bubba fans and so many Reed fans. It's great. The race was OK, a little disappointing, and really disappointing when Bubba won the championship. We knew it was a long shot. Villapoto won the race, and I know Ryker would have loved to have been there for it. It was only his second win of the year. Now it's onto outdoor motocross.....

Doug's favorite rider is number 14, he likes to ride with the number 14 when he can, too.

Waiting for the race to start!

More pyrotechnics in Vegas. They had a ton of fireworks, cool color fountain type things, etc. This picture was taken from our seats.

Sunday we got up and got ready to head back to Salt Lake. It was a whirlwind weekend, and I had so much fun. It is so nice to get away from the kids for a couple of days. It's also nice to know that the kids were well taken care of. Thank you Kenna, you are the BEST!!!!

This time on our 3 1/2 hour layover in Long Beach, we went down to the boardwalk and did a little browsing, walked along the ocean, feeling the ocean breeze... LOVE it! There are a lot of HUGE ships in Long Beach...something that Doug really likes to look at. We had dinner and then were headed back to normal life!